Located in the southwest corner
of the artist studio, this room is a tribute to the
Master Architect of the Marland Estate, John Duncan Forsyth. In
1925, Forsyth learned that E. W. Marland was going to build a
mansion that would reflect his status as an oil baron, so he pursued
Marland and convinced the oilman to hire him. Thus began a rich
architectural legacy left by Forsyth in Ponca City.
Although he designed many buildings during his career, Forsyth
was the most proud of his design of the mansion. Marland gave
him carte blanche to create the plans for the "Palace on the Prairie."
Forsyth felt very fortunate to hire talented artists to hand paint
the ceilings, and he loved being afforded the luxury of using
decorative wrought iron and original stone carvings.
In addition to the mansion, Forsyth designed the Artist
the gatehouse, the chauffeur's cottage, the stables, and the administrative
building on the Marland Estate. Marland also commissioned him
to build a group of Southwest adobe buildings in downtown Ponca
City and the boardroom at Marland Oil Company. In the mid-1930's,
when Marland was governor, Forsyth designed the state office building
in Oklahoma City.
A very popular architect throughout northern Oklahoma, he designed
many homes and business buildings in Tulsa and Ponca City, and
is also known for the Will Rogers Memorial in Claremore, Oklahoma.
Forsyth's original drawing of the Artist
Studio is displayed on
an antique drafting table. A collection of Forsyth's photographs
of the mansion in 1930 is also featured.